Feedback & Comments Spiral Dance 2017

Please feel free to leave your constructive and specific feedback in the comments section below.

A quick note about the feedback. Right now we are listening and reading your feedback. We are not currently replying to your posts, because we want to gather all of the feedback first and then review everything at one time as a cell.

We may reach out to folks as a community or as individuals if we need clarification, or if you offered resources and we’re following up with you.

Many thanks. Feedback is how we change and grow. – The Spiral Dance Cell

Feedback 2016

11 Comments

1. Helen/Hawk
    Posted November 10, 2017 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

LOVED the site: lots of room, free lit parking, easy to get to by car.

Liked how the Isle of Apples was folded in…..w/the body of water being more universalized.

I was taught that when you call a Deity, you have something in the body of the ritual connected to them. Perfect w/the Norns….not so much w/ Odin & Freya. Beautiful calling. LOVED IT. But then, there was no connection to Them in the ritual, neither of Them. There’s a level of which this is plain ole rude, ya know? If the idea was that the Norns are part of Their pantheaon….then perhaps calling for Their Attention (or Blessings) might have been appropriate. But to invite Them into our space and then not do anything connected to Them, or make no offering or something…..problematic.

Speaking of the Norns: Wonderful! And loved the inclusion of Descendants “weave futures of strength and joy with the dead and the generations to come” YES

2. cedar sposato
    Posted November 4, 2017 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Been coming to the dance a long time…loved this years location..,yay Richmond…easy to get to…loads of free parking in the front & rear lots…am a bit disabled & this year I was the most comfortable I have been (lots of chairs & helpful Graces when we moved to the center ). Would it be possible to have a 2nd word screen on the other side of the chorus?(minor point). the ritual did what I needed done this year-agreat ,clean friendly feeling space is lovely! Thanks to all!!

3. Starhawk
    Posted October 31, 2017 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not sure if it can work to have the interpreters in the center, with the dancers and everything else going on there, but we’ll think about it for next year. I’m very glad we were able to have them–we have a Deaf dancers, and I would hope we can become better able to serve the Deaf community.

4. Starhawk
    Posted October 31, 2017 at 6:26 am | Permalink

Actually “wild dancing” is always in the script at that point, or close to it–but I didn’t see anyone doing it, so I ran in to get it happening. There was a beautiful moment in the center that not everyone could see–when the dancer with the glowing ball handed it to a little boy, who then passed it on to a baby! Very sweet! So glad you enjoyed the ritual.

5. els entity
    Posted October 30, 2017 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

hello, and thank you so kindly for all the hard work & sacred energy put into making this spiral dance come alive. as a hearing member of a Deaf family as well as an interpreter-in-training, i would highly suggest placing the interpreters near the speakers at the center of the circle, perhaps on sumpthin that gives them a couple extra feet as to be visible past the first row. i realize that lighting is an issue but there is a way to make this work. placing the interpreters so far away with the choir creates a disconnection between the ritual and those who rely on the interpreter to have access to the ritual. thank you for having quality interpreters and again for this lovely experience. <3

6. Sharon Circle
    Posted October 30, 2017 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Hello dear ones.

Here is my one complaint and suggestion. If you use this space next year, is there a way to make folding chairs more available? I came into the ritual with the first group (before 630). It looked to me that the chairs that were out had already been taken. I didn’t see, nor did I ask, about getting myself a chair. I did sit in the seats behind the small wall for the second half of the trance, and I felt separated from the group.

Oh, and my sweet memories of the ritual–this was the first Annual Spiral Dance I’ve attended, and I am a long time Witch from the East coast. I loved that the trance was filled with sweetness and not heavy grief. To know without a doubt that the Norns love Witches fills me and I hope to stay focused on that for the coming year.
    Star, thanks for running into the center and having us all dance with you. That was a great way to get the energy moving. Is that a new piece of the ritual process?

Thank you ALL for your love and effort and grace and beauty.

7. Julian
    Posted October 30, 2017 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Many of the altars felt potent and transformative, and the dancing ritual performances were wonderful. Many thanks to the many creators who brought their gifts. I would have enjoyed much more time and encouragement for the whole community to move and dance freely. The spiral dance itself was also great fun and powerful. The biggest detractor from the entire experiences was the guided journey before and to some extent after the spiral dance. I have every confidence that the facilitators did their best. Sensitively inducing, guiding, and pacing a journey into and returning from the realm of dream/spirit is an art form all its own, for which (as in any art) some train for many years. For a ritual of this size, and for the amount of time spent within the journey, I would anticipate that skillful and experienced inductive guides would be retained to facilitate. One might look to people with specific training in these areas – priestesses/priests of the deep dream with a practice of this kind, experiential therapists, somatic hypnotherapists, etc. Thank you once more to everyone involved for the many offerings of beauty and renewal.

8. Anonymous
    Posted October 30, 2017 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed the new space and Rihanna or Rebecca’s voice during the main journey. However the journey itself could have been a little more suggestive instead of directive. Often I heard you’ve been here before and for some of us we haven’t been there before or perhaps our guides were taking us to a new place and so the repeat of “you been here before” really threw me off. So, try reframing that with “perhaps this is the place that you’re familiar with” or “perhaps this is a place you know, perhaps this is the place you’ve been to before or perhaps your trusted guides are taking you to a new frontier” stoking the balance between leading, directing n giving space for the individual journey to unfurl is tricky. Good work overall.

9. BLACKBIRD
    Posted October 30, 2017 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Thank you. The 2017 Samhain Spiral Dance was incredibly important and healing. I live in Naoa and am a hedge. It was beyond healing for me to stand before the element of fire altar and weep. To release the sadness and anxiety. Your volunteers held me up and gave me space to grieve.
    I was not able to participate in the spiral dance, and your volunteers placed me in a perfect spot to still be apart of the magic and connection. It means more than I can express in words to be abke to be seen and acknowledged. To know you know. To connect hearts. And to hear you say that I am seen, I am a survivor, and I will not only be okay but I will thrive. I will rise up like a Phoenix and conquor the fears. Bless you all. Thank you. Love you all. )0(

10. Stephen Pocock
    Posted October 30, 2017 at 5:13 am | Permalink

I really loved the new space and want to give maximum gratitude and support to the cell/search committee that found it and to the City of Richmond. I hope it can be our new home.
    I hope the program notes can be updated to include everyone, there are so many names left off (including my daughter Charlotte, who was the fire elemental dancer!).

11. Susan M. Black
    Posted October 30, 2017 at 3:04 am | Permalink

The Spiral Dance, 2017 event in Richmond was wonderful. It was a great location, easy to get to, easy to park, for starters. The convention center was large, and there was plenty of room for people to spread out, and for seniors like me to find seating. The ritual was outstanding, the dancing was energizing, the music was sublime. I particularly loved the invocations to Odin, Freya and the Norns. Well done, Team Spiral!

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

• 2017 Intention

Riding the knife's edge of history, we face the great challenge of this present moment; to step off the old path and weave futures of strength and joy with the dead and the generations to come.

• Admission

This ritual is Bay Area Reclaiming’s largest fundraiser for the year, and supports many of our other activities, courses, ritual, and resources.

It takes about $15,000 to put on this community event, so we appreciate your support.

Regular Admission – $25.00-$150.00

Special Needs, Youth (12-17), and Seniors (65+) can buy tickets for only – $18.00

Children under 12 years old are welcomed at no charge with a paid admission

For Regular Admission, enter whatever amount you can want to pay within that range. Please consider giving more, as this is a fundraiser. This also allows us to get others in for a discount.

NO ONE IS TURNED AWAY FOR LACK OF FUNDS.

Spiral Dance tickets will be sold at the door from 6pm to 7pm the day of the event. If you can only give a little, please come to the door and we’ll be happy to work with you.

If you have have questions about tickets and cannot find the answer to those questions on this website - please email spiraldancetix@gmail.com

• When and where

The Spiral Dance has moved to the East Bay and will be held at the Richmond Convention Center, Richmond California. We’re excited to open up to this new community.

The Spiral Dance is Saturday, October 28th, 2017.

Doors open for Altar viewing and the reading of the Names of The Beloved Dead at 6pm.

Ritual begins promptly at 7pm

• Photography on this site

Clicking on photographs will bring up a larger version. Please do not use the images you find on this site without permission. We are grateful to the amazing photographers who have allowed us to use their work here, please visit them online at:

Richard Man, ImageCraft